Mulled wine, also called glühwein, the traditional spiced alcoholic drink served warm during winter especially around Christmas!
1 cup fresh crawberries
200g pine tree honey
10 whole cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
3 fresh bay leaves
1 whole nutmeg , for grating
2 bottles red wine *
2 star anise
* that has relatively high alcohol, lots of fruit, and relatively high tannins
- Cut oranges and lemon in thick slices.
- Put the honey, cranberries, oranges & lemon slices, the cloves, cinnamon stick, star anise, bay leaves and about 15 gratings of nutmeg in a large saucepan. Stir in just enough red wine to cover and place over a medium heat.
- Let this simmer until completely dissolved, then bring to the boil. Keep on a rolling boil for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until you’ve got a beautiful syrup.
- When your syrup is ready, turn the heat down to low and add the rest of the wine. Gently heat the wine and after around 5 minutes, when it’s warm and delicious, ladle it into heatproof glasses and serve.